Friday, October 28, 2011

Koko Caught My Eye

As I was browsing Austin Fit magazine, I came across this ad...


...and immediately ripped it out of the magazine because it caught my attention.

Because I have tried out quite a number of fitness facilities in various states and countries, I consider myself a seasoned gym hopper. When I am in a new place, one of the first things that I do is try out a nearby gym. There are usually free trial passes, ranging from a day to even a week. I also scope out groupons and other online deals for discounts. I have seen many fitness facility advertisements, and they appeal to me in different ways. I choose which gym I try out mainly based on convenient location and good deals. However, the Koko fit club ad stood out to be because it looked like an atypical gym. It seemed like the “purple cow” of fitness facilities.

I won’t lie- The first thing that caught my eye was the huge “TRY KOKO FREE” in the center of the page. As a seasoned gym hopper and as any normal consumer, I like free things.

After looking past the FREE offer, I noticed the harmonizing orange and brown color scheme. It just so happens that I saw the Koko ad in the October 2011 issue, so the autumn colors were very season-appropriate. Orange is an energetic color, used to draw attention. The color orange generates feelings of excitement, enthusiasm, and warmth. Thus, it is a great color to use for fitness facility advertising to convey that it is a place with a highly-energetic environment. The shade of orange used is not too bright or extreme. A burnt orange might not be dull and add weight to the advertisement style. The shade of orange Koko chose to use was balanced well with the theme of the advertisement.

A phrase that piqued my attention was this: “Fit. Figured out.” Koko also promises to be “better than personal training” and to have “no gym scene.” I was curious as to what that meant, so I interviewed an Dana, a sales associate at Koko.

Why does Koko have a “no gym scene.” Is it a fitness facility?

Yes, it is. We have state of the art equipment in our facility. What is unique about Koko is that our members use only one machine, called a smart trainer, to achieve their fitness goal. There are over 100 exercises that can be done on it. There are also no mirrors here, so people won’t have to feel self-conscious about themselves.

Are there peak times at your gym? I know after work hours, it’s really hectic in the gyms I’ve been to.

Not really. Our members have different schedules and come to the gym at different times. There’s not really a wait time for the equipment, and if there is, they can supplement their exercise our ellipticals and treadmills as they wait.

So, why is your motto is “Fit. Figured out.”

Well first, you decide your fitness goal. Then, we devise a fitness regimen that is right for you. There are many health tracks ranging from weight loss to sports conditioning. We have specially designed programs for people suffering from diabetes, and arthritis, and even for those recovering from breast cancer.

Sounds great. I love how it’s so personalized. But, why is Koko better than personal training?

We make custom plans for everyone. It is automated personal training that you can use whenever you have the time to come into the facility. Not only is it more flexible in terms of time, but it also is more cost-efficient. A membership at our gym can cost $79-$120/month whereas a personal trainer can cost around $80/session. You really have to try it out firsthand to understand what we’re all about. I could talk to you all day about Koko, but once you try it out for yourself, you will understand exactly what I am talking about.

Koko has me captivated. No longer would I have to think which exercise to do next. No longer would I experience the frustration of someone else occupying my equipment when I want to use it. There are two more locations in Austin that will open soon, one of which will be the Koko location closest to me (Circle C). Once they’re open, I plan to sign up for a complimentary session!

No comments:

Post a Comment